Friday, April 14, 2006

IF - Spotted


I originally started this illustration for an SCBWI contest that required showing what a boy who ducked into a cave on his way home from school might see.
I'm posting it here because it fits the theme.
Like this.... "On his way home from school Bobby spotted, out of the corner of his eye, a cave he had never seen befor. Even though he had been walking this path to school, both ways, for so many years that he had worn the grass down to little green nubs. Hesitantly he broke from his regular path, picked up a stick that was nearby, and approached the mysterious new cave. As he got closer, Spot, his dog stopped wagging his tail and drew closer to Bobby's leg for comfort. As they entered the cave, and their eyes adjusted to the half light, they were quite confused and surprised to spot...a bug, reading the paper and enjoying his morning tea and toast. "

13 comments:

Powpourri said...

Oh my gosh this is so adorable! I tell you, I havent found very many artists that can make bugs look cute. Your work is so awesome! Brandi

Susan Mitchell said...

This is really fun- I love their expressions!

Anonymous said...

Interesting story. I loved to see the way u put it into a lovely illo. I'm glad that u share it with us ;)

MD said...

Very very funny and so lovely. Lovely drawing.

Ginger*:) said...

Hey Robert! This is great. I am so glad you posted it and that you added the story along with the illustration. Why not finish the story for us. I'd love to know what else bugs-in-caves do for amusement.

The Unknown said...

Love the illo. Great characters.
love

TXArtcGal said...

Fantastic illustration!...and, tells a great story! Awesome job!

Shane said...

You are so still killin it man!!!! Fantastic stuff...

Anonymous said...

Great story to the illustration - love your character designs. Great stuff.

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Hey, I like the way it turned out in color!
Good job!
:)
e

juliemc said...

neat; kinda middle-earthish!
j.

Anonymous said...

great blog, man. nice work all around.

shalalla said...

hi!
i love your stuff, really cute... i wish i could get as good one day.