Tuesday, March 01, 2011

March is Van Gogh month







Vincent van Gogh has always been one of my favorite artists.
While looking for a subject for my March promotional mailer
I realized that Vincent was born the 30th of March, 1853.
So I have decided to make Him the subject of my mailer this month.
In order to do that I took a trip to the library, two libraries actually, to
get the reference I was going to need.
So now I am going through the books to see what interesting things
I can find out about him and use them to inspire some art.
I don't intend to use his art in my mailer. It will contain original art
that is inspired by the reference materials. I will not attempt to learn/mimic
his approach to painting in less than a month.
So far I have spent the past two days doing sketches of the man in order to try an "see"
the him through the art he made.
Here are the sketches so far...




























I haven't decided yet if the art is going to be all digital or hand drawn and digitally colored yet.
As you can see by the last 2 pages I have settled on a basic head shape for him, and that I am working out different spot illustrations of him with his sun flowers, writing to his brother Theo, painting at night, ...  These will run along the bottom of the mailer and there will be a bigger image in the center section.
The mailer is the first in a series that I would like to work out that features a different  per page.
The 8 1/2 by 11 page would have art inspired by each artist, and information about the artist.
This van Gogh page will be titled "10 things you might not know about Vincent van Gogh."
Down the left hand side will be the list of ten things.

No comments: